In this post, I am going to explain how you can download and play Fortnite on Chromebook.
In fact, I have used this same method to play Fortnite on my Chromebook. And by following this guide, you can finally play Fortnite on your computer.
Fortnite is a top-rated Battle Royale Game available for Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch. And, officially, you cannot install Fortnite on Linux or Chrome OS.
But, you can play Fortnite on a Chromebook by sideloading the Android version of Fortnite or using the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) to play the Windows or macOS version of the game remotely.
So, Let’s Get Started…
Why does not Fortnite Work on Chromebooks?
Epic Games owns Fortnite, and it’s all up to the Epic to release a game for a specific platform. And, they have chosen not to support Chrome OS. This means you can’t install the desktop version of Fortnite on a Chromebook.
As we know, Chrome OS supports Linux applications. And, if in the future Epic decides to release Fortnite for Linux, then it will be the best way to play Fortnite on Chromebook. Until then, we have to sideload the Android version of Fortnite or use the Remote Desktop Connection to a computer that’s capable of playing Fortnite.
Minimum Requirements for Running Fortnite on Chrome OS
Now, we will be running the Android version of Fortnite on the Chromebook. And to do that, we don’t need very high configurations.
You will need a 64-bit processor, Chrome OS 64-bit, and a minimum of 4 GB of RAM to sideload Fortnite successfully.
And, for the Remote Desktop method, you will need the following items to get it working.
- A Chromebook
- A Windows PC (or macOS) with Fortnite and Chrome installed
- Chrome Remote Desktop (CRD) extension.
You can check the minimum requirements for Fortnite on Windows from here.
Sideload the Fortnite Android App On Chromebook [Method 1]
Now, we are going to sideload the Fortnite Installer available on the Play Store into the Chromebook. And its a somewhat complicated process and may not work with some of the Chromebooks.
In this Guide, we have simplified the steps so that you don’t face any problems during the installation process.
First, you will have to enable the Developer Mode, then enable Android apps and download the Epic Games launcher. So, let’s begin our first step:
Enable the Developer Mode on Chromebook
To enable developer mode on a Chromebook:
- Poweroff your Chromebook, then press and hold Esc + Refresh button, then press the power button.
- Now, a screen will appear saying Chrome OS is missing or damaged. Please insert a recovery USB stick. Now, press Ctrl+D.
- Hit Enter if prompted and wait for the Chromebook to reboot. Once it restarts, follow the on-screen steps and set up your Chromebook.
NOTE: Enabling developer mode powerwashes your Chromebook, which means all your stored data will be removed. So, back up the data before you enable the Developer Mode. Know more about this from here.
Enable Android apps on Chromebook
Now, Google has released some versions of Chromebook, which supports Play Store. And if you aren’t sure about your Chromebook, you can check the list of PlayStore supported Chromebooks on the web. But, if your Chromebook Software is running on the Chrome OS version 53 or higher, then you’re good to go.
If you aren’t sure about what to do, then try out this guide and enable Android apps on your Chromebook.
Installing Fortnite Android App on Chromebook
Before we download and Install Fortnite, let’s enable apps from unknown sources:
- Go to Settings, then Google Play Store, and then Manage Android Preferences.
- Now, click on Security and then on Unknown Sources.
- Now, go to the Fortnite android page using an Android phone and download the EpicGames.apk file.
- Connect the Android phone to the computer and transfer the EpicGames.apk file to your Chromebook.
- Now, Run the EpicGames.apk on your Chromebook.
- Click on Package Installer and then tap Install.
- Now Click on open and then Install Fortnite on your Chromebook.
And, after the installation completes, you can finally play Fortnite on your Chromebook.
- 11 Best Linux apps for Chromebooks in 2020
- How to Install and Use Zoom on a Chromebook?
- Chrome Flags in 2020: The Definitive Guide to Enhance Browsing
Play Fortnite on Chromebook Using Chrome Remote Desktop [Method 2]
If your Chromebook is not capable of running the Android version of Fortnite, then you can play using the Chrome Remote Desktop.
With Chrome Remote Desktop, you can connect your Chromebook to another Windows or Mac machine capable of running Fortnite. In this method, you will need a faster Internet connection with low ping.
Note: This is not the recommended method of playing Fortnite on the Chromebook. The overall performance will be much less compared to the original PC running Fortnite. And, any slight change in the Network Speeds or the computer hardware will profoundly affect the gaming experience.
Here’s how you can play Fortnite on your Chromebook using Chrome Remote Desktop
- First, install the Chrome Remote Desktop on the other PC with Fortnite.
- Now, install Chrome Remote Desktop on your Chromebook.
- With the help of Chrome Remote Desktop, connect to the other PC with Fortnite and enter your PIN, if asked.
- On the Chromebook, Open the Epic Games Store and launch Fortnite.
With this, you will be able to play Fortnite on the Chromebook using the Chrome Remote Desktop.
Playing Fortnite on Chromebook
These were our methods to download and play Fortnite on Chromebook using the Android app and the Remote Desktop. The Android app method is much better than the Remote Desktop method, and we’ll recommend you to use the first method for playing Fortnite.
So, What are your views about Fortnite on Chromebook? Tell us in the comments down below.
Thanks for Reading.