In this post, I am going to show how you can jailbreak your Roku Device.
In fact, this is the same technique I used on my Roku to get all the Jailbroken features.
It is not possible to exactly Jailbreak a Roku Device. But there are some ways by which we can watch content outside of the Roku Channel Store.
So, what we will do is. We will try some workarounds to get the applications and other things work on our Kodi Devices.
In this post, the other alternatives we are going to use is:
- Screen Mirroring.
- Screen Cast our Android Phone.
- Screen Cast Kodi on Roku.
- Play On Roku- the Roku Mobile App.
- Playing Content on Roku using USB or Local Network.
Is It Possible to Jailbreak a Roku?
As we have already mentioned, it is practically impossible to Jailbreak a Roku Device.
Because Roku is based on the C++ programming language, and the Roku as a company has prohibited other developers from getting into the Roku’s Database. In simple words, Roku has a jailbreak-proof operating system that can only be accessed by an authorized developer.
Nevertheless, we are going to access the features that we typically could have done with the Jailbroken Roku.
So, Let’s Get Started…
How to Enable Screen Mirroring on Roku
Now, If you have an android phone or a Windows PC, then you can use the “Screen Mirroring” feature with Roku.
With the help of Screen Mirroring, we can duplicate a screen and show it into another screen. This means all the content that we will stream on our Smartphone (which includes, videos, webpages, documents, apps, etc.) can be displayed on the TV Screen.
In this process, no network connection is needed.
But, with the Screen Mirroring feature ON, you will not be able to perform any other task on the phone. Also, you will have to use the phone to navigate the content of the TV, and the Roku remote control will not work while mirroring.
To enable Screen Mirroring on Roku:
- Press the Home button on Roku’s remote. Then, go to settings.
- Now, move to the System and then select Screen Mirroring.
- Here, select the Screen Mirroring Mode. You will get three options for how Roku’s response when you try to mirror your phone or PC screen.
- Prompt: Roku will show you on-screen prompt every time you try to Mirror.
- Always Allow: Screen Mirroring will be activated every time, without any prompt.
- Never Allow: Screen Mirroring will be disabled until you change the settings.
- Now, Select either Prompt or Always Allow based on your preference.
By this time, you have successfully enabled the Screen Mirroring. And now we have to cast our Android Screen into the TV.
How to Screen Cast to a Roku Device
Another way of using Roku is to Screen Cast smartphone screen to the Roku. Screen Casting feature is available on both the iOS and Android but it only works with the supported applications.
Now, to cast a screen to the Roku TV. We may need to install an additional app into our smartphones and Roku Device.
- First, Make Sure both the Smartphone and Roku are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Now, add the desired channel app to the Roku Device. For Example– To stream Youtube, add Youtube addon from the Roku Channel Store.
- Now, Open the App you want to Cast from on your phone.
- Open the Media, add look for the Screen Cast icon. Click on the Cast icon.
- Here, look for your Roku Device and Click on connect.
The casted media content will be displayed on TV without the status icon or any menu bar.
With this method, you can Stream all the Major OTT platforms on your Roku TV. But, this method is very clustered, and the much better and recommended way is to use Kodi for watching content on Roku Device.
How to Use Kodi in a Roku Device
Kodi is an amazing free and open-source media player from which we can stream our favorite content into the Roku Device.
Now, Kodi cannot be installed on the Roku because of its close Operating System. So, we will be using an android phone to screencast Kodi to the Roku TV.
To use Kodi in a Roku device, follow these steps:
- First, Download the Kodi app into the phone from PlayStore.
- Now, Go to Setting and then tap on Connected devices.
- Here, Click on Connection preferences
- Now, Tap on Cast and Select the Roku TV to connect the phone to the TV.
- Open Kodi app on the Android to view Kodi on the Roku TV
With this, your TV will start displaying Kodi on your TV screen. And whichever media you will play on your Phone will also be displayed on the TV. Also, you have to use the Android screen to control the media content of the TV, Roku TV remote will not work while you’re screencasting on the Roku Device.
How to Use Play On Roku
Play On Roku is another alternative to Jailbreak Roku which helps us watch media on our Roku Device. This feature is present on Roku’s official app which is available on both Android and iOS.
Play On Roku works similar to the Screen Mirroring and Screen Casting. We will be using our smartphone to display video and images on our Roku Box or TV. But, with the Play On, some of the apps like Netflix and YouTube can’t be displayed on the Roku Box or TV
With Play On Roku feature, following media formats are supported:
- Photos: JPG, PNG.
- Video: MP4, MOV, M4V.
- Music: MP3, M4A.
Before we get started, first download the Roku app from the PlayStore or the AppStore based on your Smartphone. Then follow the below steps:
- Open the Roku App on your Phone
- Now, move to the Photos+ tab located at the bottom of the screen to use the Play On feature
- Here, you can select the Music, Photos, or Videos files one by one and grant permission to the Roku App to access the Media library on your Phone.
- Now, Select the images and videos you want to stream on your Roku TV and click ok.
How to Play Content on Roku Using USB or Local Network
The Last option to play the media files on Roku is to use a USB drive or connect the Roku to a Local Server like Plex, Tversity, etc.
To do this, you have to install the Media Player app on your Roku TV or Box, if not already installed. You can download the Media player app from the Roku Channel Store.
This Media Player app allows you to stream videos, images, music stored on your Local Network to the Roku TV.
To use the Media Player app on Roku, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Open the Media Player app on Roku TV.
- Now, Select the images, videos, music option from the media selection screen.
- Here, you are asked to choose the Media Server you want to use on the Roku Device.
- Look for the media content you want to play on TV
- After this, press the OK button on the Roku remote to play the media file.
- To stop the content playing on the Roku TV, press the Back button on the Roku remote.
To use USB Drive on the Roku
- Connect the USB drive to the Roku device.
- The USB drive will be automatically detected on the Roku TV.
- If not, then go to the Setting and then into System then USB Media.
The USB Drive can also be used with the Roku Media Player app by following the above steps.
Jailbreak Roku: Final Words
By this time, you have learned all the necessary steps require to use Jailbroken features on Roku without Jailbreak. The above-mentioned methods work fine with all the released versions of Roku.
We hope that you have found our guide useful. If you find any difficulty in following any of our steps, then commend down below. We will reply with the solution as soon as possible.
Thanks for Reading.